Monday, October 8, 2012

50 Years of Independence. I choose to celebrate!

The National Flag of Uganda (source)
Tomorrow my country, Uganda, will celebrate 50 years of independence. I am proud to be Ugandan. Some Ugandans have chosen to use this time to complain about what the government isn't doing - which is a lot. But I choose to celebrate my country's independence. The government may be messed up but that's not the point here. Like my dad says; "We're not thanking the NRM, we're thanking God.'

And God has been good to us. This year, after 40 years, a Ugandan won a gold medal at the Olympics. It was exciting. What was even better was that at the Olympic closing ceremony our national Anthem was sung. It was absolutely glorious! I was so proud to be Ugandan.

I know that a lot of things in my country are a far cry from what they should be but I'm thankful that I have a place to call home. A place that has such a rich culture and the friendliest people I know. I've not travelled much but I've not yet been to a country where I can strike up a conversation with anyone I meet on the road side. And I don't just mean saying 'Hello'. In Uganda you can start talking to a stranger and actually exchange life stories and jokes- without even telling them your name. It keeps amazing me how when I get into a taxi many times the person I sit next to will greet me. Not with a smile but with actual words. Ugandans are so relational.

I'm proud to be Ugandan not because it is perfect but because it is home. You don't say you're proud of your family because they are perfect. You're proud of them because they are your family. My country is my identity.

I'll just list a few things I'm thankful for when it comes to my country:

  • I'm thankful that we are a God-fearing state (generally). That is something I do not take for granted. 
  • I'm thankful for the different tribes that make our nation what it is. Each of them make our country richer with their cultures and languages. 
  • I'm thankful for the climate. It's summer all year round :) Sometimes I complain that it's too hot but honestly our climate is just right. Not too hot and not too cold. Just perfect.
  • I'm thankful for the  fertile soils. As a farmer's wife this is something we thank God for often. That we can plant crops almost anywhere and reap a harvest. 
  • I'm thankful that morals are still pretty important in Uganda. They are in short supply elsewhere in the world. 
  • I'm thankful that we have some peace in our country. 
My country is not perfect. I know that very, VERY well. But I love it. I know that God will slowly get us to where He wants us to be.

Today, as I watched the National Prayer Breakfast they stood up to sing the national anthem- all 3 stanzas- and I sang along with all my heart, proud to be Ugandan and meaning every word. Here it is:


Oh Uganda! may God uphold thee, 
We lay our future in thy hand. 
United, free, 
For liberty 
Together we'll always stand. 




Oh Uganda! the land of freedom. 
Our love and labour we give, 
And with neighbours all 
At our country's call 
In peace and friendship we'll live. 




Oh Uganda! the land that feeds us 
By sun and fertile soil grown. 
For our own dear land, 
We'll always stand: 
The Pearl of Africa's Crown. 




source: Source
HAPPY 50TH INDEPENDENCE UGANDA!!!!! May God continue to lead you. I look forward to the next 50 years! 
For God and my country.

The Coat of Arms (source)

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Proud to be a Ugandan as well! Happy 50th!

Eleanor said...

Well said dear, well said!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...