Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Going traditional...

Hubby loves traditional Ugandan food. Me? Not so much - especially when I have to cook it. I love cooking but traditional food does not allow me to be creative and I can't stand that.

Anywho, on Sunday I decided to give the hubby a treat and cook matooke!!!!!!!! He was sooooo excited!!!
Even though I knew how to do it I had never done it before all by myself (don't judge!) And since I like to be different and not follow all the rules I decided to make it with a modern twist :)

So, instead of steaming the matooke in banana leaves then mashing it, I boiled it, mashed it and then put it in banana leaves and left it to steam to a nice softness with the banana leaf flavour :) So much faster and easier!!!

Peeling the matooke. I had to make sure I had an apron that would not stain from the sap and I found one at Capital shoppers for 2500 shs!!!

The mashed matooke in banana leaves

Wrapping the matooke

Mama would be so proud!!!! :)
I added some plantain to be steamed

Finishing touches :)

Steaming :)


I purchased a nice cooking pot/ frying pan at the American Club sale so I used it to make pork stew (and also to feel some excitement in the kitchen!)






My darling hubby had to get in on the action too so he made banana and mango smoothie. His smoothies are the best!!!!!!! And no I'm not biased!

Here are the finished products!!!!





The matooke was ok for my first try and the hubby loved it so it felt good that I had finally made his favourite dish. Yes, it took me 6 months but the point is I did it right? heehee!
I'll be doing it again in 6 months soon :)

6 comments:

Kathy said...

Matt loves traditional Ugandan food and I'm just like you...not willing to make it! But I think you motivated me to try one dish!
It looks so yummy!!
Good job!!!

Farmer's Wife said...

He does? That's cool!!! I know it's kinda hard to get matooke in The US but chapati is really easy and quick to make - takes at most 30 minutes depending on how many you want to make. I'm sure you know the recipe from your mama :)

Sommer said...

How sweet that you two cook together!! Yet another intriguing dish!! Will have to look up matooke!

Faith said...

you are so fun to read! i have to start cooking some Ghanaian dishes! my hubby likes it so much but he only gets it from my mom ... you have motivated me to try it!

that looks delicious and i have no idea what matooke is!

Farmer's Wife said...

Thanks Faith. I'm sorry I did not explain what matooke is. It's a type of banana grown in Uganda and is the staple dish of my tribe- Baganda. It's not a sweet banana so it has a kind of flat taste but with a nice stew it tastes really good. I also forgot to mention that the matooke was from our farm!!!!

Eleanor said...

babe can you also oba post the full recipe of everything that was on the final serving plate and the smoothies as well for us the amatuers? you never know you might be preping for your recipe book.

so how does the matooke with a modern twist tase in relation to the old skool one?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...