Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Voting? No thanks...

 Presidential elections in Uganda are on Friday this week. I'm not voting.

The main reason why I'm not voting id because I really don't know who to vote for. First of all there are 8 presidential candidates - that's weird enough. But the truth is that the competition is really between these three:

1) Yoweri Kaguta Museveni
This dude has been the President of Uganda for as long as I've been alive. He came into power 3 months before I was born. He helped restore peace (or so I'm told) and the country has been able to develop quite a bit in the 25 years that he has been president. I don't want to vote for him because I believe he has served his purpose and we need some change.

2) Kizza Besigye
This dude fought along side Museveni or something before he took over power but in politics there are no permanent friends or enemies so for now they are enemies. He is Museveni's strongest competitor but we all know how that will end.... Anyway, I don't want to vote for him because he seems a bit too angry for me. Granted, we're all not too happy with a lot of the things that are happening but I would like a president who is not so angry. (Not a very political reason but I can't help it.)

3) Nobert Mao
 This dude is currently the Mayor of Gulu, a district in Northern Uganda that has been greatly affected by rebels. The rebels have killed lots of people, abducted many children and displaced families. Mao is a Christian (thumbs up). He is probably the one I would trust the most because he has been a leader in Gulu and done a good job plus he seems level headed. The reason why I don't want to vote for Mao is he is in the wrong political party. In my very humble political opinion, his party is not strong enough to lead this country.

So, I'm not going to vote. We all know who is going to win the elections. All I can do is pray that all will go well and thank God that we get a public holiday on Friday! Yay!!!!!


(Photo credit)

6 comments:

Eleanor said...

i am going to vote. because it is my right and i feel that if i do not cast my vote i loose all right to complain/comment about anything in this country because i'll just feel like a loud bell. this is the most basic way of determining who our leaders are. even though its just one vote among billions and it may feel like it wont make a difference, but i will know that i cast my vote.... i will not however disclose who i will vote for. :)

Faith said...

this is just my humble opinion but i think you should vote for whoever you think will do the best job for your country. not for the one you think will win or won't win. it is still your voice that you are putting out there and i think everyone's voice in their country should be heard.

i always feel if i don't/didn't vote then i truly can't complain about anything. why? because i gave up my change.

Faith said...

**chance**

i meant chance.

Farmer's Wife said...

I'm not voting because I don't know who to vote for. If I were to go and vote I would probably tick several names because I'm not sure so rather than cast an invalid vote I just won't vote.

Anonymous said...

I'm not as familiar with international politics as I'd like to be, so reading your opinions on the candidates was interesting. I agree with Faith and Eleanor. I would encourage you to reconsider your decision and cast a vote for the one person who you think would serve you and your countrymen well.

Eleanor said...

so, since farmer's wife seems to have abandoned us for now.....

we did vote, the results are out and just as she predicted, those were the top 3....

here is what i think for 2016.... all things being said. i'm happy with the way things turned out, however i think come 2016, we can not vot m7 back in. i think he needs to get mao to leave dp and join nrm... i think he is our next president... and i know many who would agree with me....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...