Friday, January 14, 2011

Prophecy?

Tomorrow will be our 8 month anniversary. (I know several people think I'd better stop counting the months but I can't help myself!!!)
Anywho, since we got married in May both our matron of honour and our best man have added to the members in their families. Our matron and her husband had a baby boy in August while our best man and his wife had a daughter in December.
Baby Amy - precious isn't she? Born to our best man and his wife
Baby Josiah - my Captain Adorable!! Born to our matron of honour and her husband
Prophecy?? Heehee!!! All I know is that I'm enjoying having babies around me because it helps calm my nerves! No kidding!

Now, as you may (or may not) know I LOVE babies and so several of my friends and relatives were pretty sure that I'd be very heavy by now. However, I have disappointed them ;) Some of them have secretly decided that I'm pregnant so when I bump them they simply ask how far along I am (heehee).

In the beginning this was quite amusing but I grew tired of it. My grandmother also pulled me aside and made it clear that she wanted a great-grandbaby soon! Whoa! Last time I checked the only person I'm supposed to be talking to about babies with is my handsome farmer man right? RIGHT!!!

In Uganda children are so important to the extended family. The other day I read about a lady who has failed to conceive in her 8 years of marriage and so wants to get her husband a girlfriend a girlfriend who will bear him a child. Sound familiar? Sarah and Haggai all over again- I think...
Much as I respect the importance my culture places on child bearing I also realise that they are a gift from God and a happy marriage is important in a family. We want to build that firm foundation before we think of bringing little people into the world. Make sense?

So maybe our best man and matron of honour having babies within 7 months of our marriage is a sign of things yet to come - I sure wouldn't mind - but maybe we need some more time to discover ourselves and fall in love all over again as newly weds... :)

Did any of you experience some pressure to have a baby soon after your wedding?

2 comments:

Kathy said...

People were asking us when we were having a baby at our reception!
It's just the next logical "life question" people have for married people. I can't wait to have kids... but like you, we're making sure we are financially and emotionally stable. :)

Ki@m$E (P) said...

it makes much sense to be holistically stable before they come along dear..so take ur time,when ur ready. After all, in luganda we have this saying, "ffa ku mudaala gwo" clearly, consultation is between u and arthur, o and the BIG guy, so let them take a hike!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...