Friday, January 7, 2011

Stay-home mum misconceptions

 
I want to be a stay home mum once the kids start coming. In my opinion being a mother and wife is the most important thing that the Lord has given me to do. I can have a job and still give my family enough attention but I don't want to do it that way. My decision to stay at home has not been met with kind words from quite a number of people. There are a lot of misconceptions about stay home mums and I'm sure some of you have heard them before.

Recently, I was involved in a discussion on stay home mums with two gentlemen and I was the only one supporting the idea. Let me list down some of the things that are said about stay home mums which I believe are far from the truth:
  • Stay home mums don't do anything the whole day. Well, I'd like to see a stay home mum  have 8 hours of nothing to do while the little ones run about the house doing whatever they want. Stay home mums probably have a lot more work to do than working mums. They have to feed the kids, clean the house, change diapers, make sure the kids don't wreck the house and still have a meal on the table for the hungry hubby when he returns. Now, doesn't that seem harder than sitting at a desk all day typing on your computer or sitting through meetings? 
  • Stay home mums have zero ambition. On the contrary, stay home mums have A LOT of ambition. They want to make sure that their husbands and children succeed at everything they get their hands on. Gone are the days of housewives who were semi house maids. These days the stay home mum can work from home while keeping an eye on her young ones. It allows her to have a flexible schedule and to be her own boss. Ambitious? I think so.
  • Stay home mums don't take care of themselves. At some point all of us women get too comfortable and stop doing our hair and nails every week, we start to wear cotton pyjamas instead of the sexy lingerie we started out with and many times this happens even before the kids show up. Am I right ladies? Sure its hard to stay in touch with fashion when you have kids and have put on some weight but it does not make it impossible. Every woman needs to stay on top of their appearance and it takes a little work. Sometimes we may get a bit lazy but we need to give ourselves a good scolding when we do because our husbands and kids need to be able to say with pride "Look at my mum/ wife."  My point is you don't have to be a stay home mum to 'lose' it. You may have to work a little harder but it's NOT impossible.
  • Being a stay home mum makes one dull and they never know what's happening out in the world. Seriously?????? Have you not heard of the internet???? There are good books to read too. In this day and age there really is no excuse for staying in the dark.
I remember telling a friend of mine who is a stay home mum that I would like to do the same. She looked me straight in the eye and asked me if I was ready for it. When I asked her what she meant she explained that there will be a lot of people who will look down on me for choosing to stay home. She said sometimes people don't want to involve you in intelligent discussions because they don't think you'll be able to contribute. I told her that I was up for the challenge and I believe I am.

People have asked me why I would go to school, get a good degree, work for a while and then give it up to look after my husband and kids. First of all, I did not go to school in order to get a job at the end of it. I believe my parents took me to school so that I would get educated and be able to exercise my intelligence. Therefore, school should have taught me how to seize the opportunities that come my way and should have improved my social skills.

Women have the gift to multitask and the special grace that God has given them to raise a family. I respect women who work and raise families - my mum is one of them and she did a wonderful job. It's hard to do both and one has to make sure they have enough time for the family but it is possible.

I wish I could say that I can do the same but I can't. I want to be with my kids whenever I want to and to watch them grow into the men and women that the Lord wants them to be. Yes, I went to school and I'm intelligent but I have decided to be a stay home mum because I will feel more accomplished in that role. Please note that I'm not criticizing working mothers. I'm just saying that single mums have jobs too - 24/7 jobs along with rather difficult bosses :) and its ok to be educated and decide to stay home. 

I'm looking forward to spending time with my babies, cooking for my family and watching my family grow.

What do you have to say about stay home mums?

7 comments:

Sommer said...

Let's just say, my husband prefers to go to work! It's not an easy task. It's challenging mentally, physically, emotionally and socially. I remember thinking stay-at-home moms did nothing....heck no. Especially since I will be going back to school. I will have a lot to juggle!!!

I really don't care what others think about my status as a stay-at-home mom. I am proud of it!

Excellent post.

Faith said...

my mom was a SAHM. that is what she always wanted to do even while growing up. she was the best mom and i am lucky to have had a SAHM. also lucky that my father was able to provide for all 6 of us on one income.

i don't think i would want to be a SAHM but then again i don't have children yet so who knows if that would change. but even if i did want to be a SAHM i don't think we could afford it on one income!

i think everyone has the right to do what they are led to do. i won't judge.

Kathy said...

Awesome post! My mom was a SAHM for a few years while we were growing up and it was awesome having her around! I give SAHM huge props for handling all that responsibility that goes unnoticed. If you can financially handle it...go for it!

And can I just say Sarah... I can't wait till you start having kids! You're gonna be a great mom..and I can't wait to be their aunt!!

Carla said...

Wow! Although I'm not shocked that people think this way, that can't be farther from the truth. Now, I'm not a stay at home mommy but I know such is not easy. You've listed some good points and in particular, I do believe that stay at home moms do more work than working moms.

Ki@m$E (P) said...

I agree with Cathy, ur gona be a really DOP mummy Sarah..its amazing how much u have grown!!Like Faith said, its really up to everbody to do what they seem to be called to be...for example, I wouldnt fancy being a SAHM but u do and u would make a great one, knowing you..so go ahead and prove all those who are negative about it wrong!!show them that u can be even more intelligent, ambitious and sexy while a SAHM than any working mother. There are no rules..jusst do wat u have to do and make it work :)

Eleanor said...

WAY TO GO GIRL..... SO PROUD OF THIS POST. I'M SO PRINTING IT OUT AND PASSING IT AROUND SO THAT EVERYBODY CAN SHARE IN YOU INTELLIGENCE.... EVEN THE ONES WHO CANT MAKE IT ONLINE AND STILL LOOK DOWN ON SAHMS. PLUS, YOU SO KNOW I WOULD ALSO LOVE TO BE A STAY AT HOME MOM BUT THE INCOME ASPECT AND THE OPINION OF MY HUSBAND ARE IMPORTANT AND THOSE ARE DEFINITELY THINGS I WILL HAVE TO THINK ABOUT AND FACTOR IN IN MY DECISION. IF I CANT BE A STAY AT HOME MOM, I WILL HAVE TO TAILOR MY WORK AROUND MY FAMILY OBLIGATIONS AND NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

Annie said...

I didnt want to be a SAHM for long time while growing up, i thought it deprives women of an opportunity 2 make "Board Decisions" and exercise their intelligence. Been working for abt 4 years now and my views are totally changed, i want to be a SAHM, i cant image juggling work with raising a family. But it will also depend on hubby, if his into the idea am so staying home after the kids come in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...